I recently came to a difficult decision on my book project. After more than a year of going back and forth with my publisher I realise two things that made me question the fundamental idea
- Book publishing is in a similarly broken state to music publishing. However the music industry is now reforming in new models, where as book publishing has not adapted as quickly. I feel that following the traditional printing/publishing route is no longer the right means to deliver my initial idea.
- In trying to make the book more "commercially appealing" I moved it away from it's original concept. I no longer felt excited by the theme of the book and whole exercise became a chore
- Perhaps it can still be printed and self funded through Kickstarter?
- Maybe it should be an iPad app, rich with interactivity?
- Should it simply be a blog and grow over time?
I don't know yet. But I do know I'm enjoying writing and reading again.